Concerned about diabetes? Characterized by high blood glucose levels, fatigue, weight loss, and more, diabetes can cause long-term complications if not treated well. At Mid-Cities Direct Care in Grapevine, TX, Dr. James Terry diagnoses and treats this common endocrine problem, helping patients live well as a result.
Just what is diabetes?
Diabetes is marked by high glucose levels as measured by a routine blood draw. However, both early-onset diabetes (type-1) and adult-onset diabetes (type-2) exhibit other concerning symptoms which, if unaddressed, lead to complications such as:
- Kidney damage
- Cardiovascular disease
- Retinopathy (damage to the micro-circulation at the back of the eye)
- Neuropathy (loss of sensation in the extremities)
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Hearing loss
Additionally, Healthline reports that one in three adult Americans have pre-diabetes, a condition in which people have slightly elevated blood glucose levels as their bodies age. Weight control, diet, and exercise all benefit patients with diabetes or pre-diabetes.
Concerning signs that you may have diabetes
With type-1 diabetes, symptoms are more obvious and destructive. With pre-diabetes and type-2 diabetes, patients actually may be asymptomatic for a long time. In either case, diabetes damages body systems.
- Frequent urination
- Itchy skin
- Weight loss
- Infections in the gums, urinary tract and skin
- Blurry vision
- Poor healing
- Anxiety, irritability, and depression
What you should do
At Mid-Cities Direct Care in Grapevine, TX, Dr. Terry and his team screen patients 40 and older for diabetes. As part of routine blood work, a fasting blood sugar level of 125 or high is diagnostic for diabetes. As such, your physician will customize a care plan to bring that number into line to help you feel your best and avoid long-term complications.
- Using insulin or oral medications such as Metformin
- A plan of exercise
- Dietary changes to lower fat and sugar intake
- Keeping a healthy body weight
- Controlling blood cholesterol levels and blood pressure
- At-home blood glucose monitoring
- Stopping smoking
- Getting routine check-ups with the dentist and eye doctor
- Inspecting feet daily for sore spots, breaks in the skin, and temperature changes
You can still be you
At Mid-Cities Direct Care in Grapevine, TX, you'll receive the finest diabetic care possible. Dr. James Terry helps all his patients achieve life-long good health. For more information on diabetes, please call us at (817) 284-9875.